Location: Burwash Landing, Yukon
Reports to: Store Manager
Direct Reports: May be requested to supervise Summer Students (KFN Young Workers Program)
Position Status: Full Time (35 – 40 Hours per Week) Including Weekends
Kluane Energy Limited Partnership (“KELP”) is an economic development corporation with an independent mandate to manage certain business interests of the Kluane First Nation. These include the Community Convenience Grocery / Hardware Store, the Café / Restaurant, the Card-Lock Gas-Bar and Rental Accommodation Facilities.
These community services are based out of Burwash Landing, Yukon, a small remote northern community of 100 people, located along the Alaska Highway, 275 Kilometers north-west of Whitehorse, the capital city of the Yukon. There is also customer traffic from nearby communities and a steady tourism clientele travelling the Alaska Highway during the Summer months.
Reporting to the Store Manager, the Convenience Store Clerks / Service Attendants contribute to the overall success of several “KELP” service-based businesses by performing a wide range of support duties. These positions work closely together in a coordinated fashion, as assigned, performing important functions to ensure the delivery of quality community services. The range of duties include; Grocery / Hardware Store Sales, Café / Restaurant Services, Card-Lock Gas-Bar Tidiness and Rental Accommodation Services. Convenience Store Clerks / Service Attendants work various shifts due to the extended hours of operation provided by these community-based businesses.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Grocery / Hardware Store: Welcome customers, assist with enquiries, process sales, operate checkout register and debit-credit machine, process daily sales / cash reports and reconciliations, stock shelves, monitor inventory levels and ongoing ordering needs and maintain the cleanliness of the store, equipment and stocks.
Café / Restaurant Services: Welcome customers, present menus, offer recommendations, receive orders, prepare / present meals, provide bills, process payments, identify ongoing inventory needs, process daily sales / cash reports and reconciliations and maintain the cleanliness and sanitation of the kitchen / restaurant, appliances and equipment.
Card-Lock Gas-Bar: Maintain general tidiness and cleanliness by; emptying the trash bins, replenishing paper towels, filling the windshield wash reservoirs and by wiping down the card-lock pads and gas-pumps.
Accommodation Services (including adjacent Camp / Bunk-House): Perform administrative and logistical duties related to client intakes and departures, room assignments, maintain daily guest register to keep track of clients / occupants. Plan and prepare meals for the work-crew guests, maintain accurate meal records, monitor and maintain required inventories and perform housekeeping, janitorial and laundry services.
Education, Training and Experience:
Convenience Store Clerks / Service Attendants will have the following education, training and experience, or an equivalent combination thereof, and must be willing to receive training for Special Certifications that are required by law in relation to certain services being provided:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 1 – 7 months of work experience in either a Store, Restaurant, Motel / Hotel or similar services.
- Food Safe Certificate.
- Tobacco and Alcohol Sales Training Certifications.
- Standard First Aid.
- Basic Safety Training.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, skills and experience.
Convenience Store Clerks / Service Attendants must be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Customer Service / Hospitality Skills.
- Operate a Cash Register and Debit / Credit Machine.
- Store Inventory / Stocking Skills.
- Cooking Planning, Preparation and Serving Skills.
- Basic Computer Skills.
- Ability to complete Sales / Inventory Reports.
- Rental Accommodation Guest Bookings.
- Cleaning / House-Keeping / Janitorial Skills.
Personal Suitability Requirements:
- Respectful / Positive attitude / Customer-oriented.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Punctual, reliable and dependable.
- Ability to work well with others (team player).
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Highly organized and ability to multi-task.
- Flexible and adaptive to changing needs and priorities.
- Ability to manage stress during busy periods.
Conditions of Employment:
- RCM Police Background Check / Criminal Records Check.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Physically fit, ability to stand for extended periods and lift items weighing 30 Pounds (13.63 Kgs).
- Willingness to work flexible shifts, including mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Willing to work “Short Work Weeks” as defined under Section 11(1) of the Yukon Employment Standards Act, which states that “the employee/s may work a regular day of work in excess of eight hours but not in excess of 12 hours provided that the total hours of work of each employee shall not exceed 80 hours in a two-week period” (unless overtime is paid after 80 hours).
- Willing to work overtime when required.
- English proficiency.
- Following a mandatory probation period of three (3) months, a performance assessment will be conducted to determine if the probationary employee will be offered continued employment.
Pay and Benefits:
- $15.00 – $22.00 per Hours, commensurate with education, skills, experience and job performance.
- Extended Health Benefits (following Probation).
Preferential Hire Statement:
Whenever possible, the first preference for hiring will be afforded to qualified people of Kluane First Nation, and then to qualified people of First Nation’s ancestry.
This position is open to Canadian Citizens, people with existing Canadian Work Visas, and people with family connections to the Community who are able to obtain a Canadian Work Visa.