Job Description / Summary:
Under the direction and supervision of the Bird Survey Crew Leader, the primary role of the Bird Survey Crew is to conduct Bird Nest Searches / Surveys along selected Roadway corridors that have been approved for Vegetation Control Operations. Crew members participate in the planning and scheduling of field searches and perform search pattern techniques to locate bird nests, flag the nests and complete detailed Bird Survey / Search Reports. The Bird Survey Team perform their duties under challenging field conditions and therefore will comply with Safety Policies and Procedures, including the wearing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). During periods where Bird Surveys or Nest Searches are not being performed, other duties may be assigned including chain-saw operations to assist with brush clearing, as well as traffic control duties.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Post-secondary studies in biology, environmental sciences, natural resources management or related field is an asset.
- Nest Search training (2 days) or equivalent Bird Survey training.
- Previous experience performing bird surveys / nest searches, collecting data in the field, maintaining proper notes and updating data-bases / spread-sheets.
- Knowledge of Bird Survey / Search techniques and protocols, and good bird identification skills.
- Knowledge of Regulatory Frameworks relating to the protection of Birds, including; the Migratory Birds Convention Act (MBCA) and Migratory Birds Regulations, Yukon Wildlife Act / Regulations and the Canada Species at Risk Act.
- GPS proficiency and Map reading skills, or willingness to undertake GPS training.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Bear Awareness Training.
- Basic safety training / knowledge and experience.
- Current First Aid / CPR Certification.
- Chain-Saw Operator Certificate, or willingness to undertake this training.
- Traffic Control Person (TCP) Certificate, or willingness to undertake this training.
Employment Terms and Working Conditions:
- RCMP Police Background Check / Criminal Records Check, if required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Compliance with related KCDLP Corporate Policies.
- Physically fit to perform the physical requirements of the position.
- Willing to work flexible hours, including early mornings and evenings, weekends, & extended hours.
- Willing to work independently, as required.
- Willing to work under difficult conditions including; rough terrain, remoteness, adverse weather conditions, and in heavy mosquito / blackfly areas.
- Supply own all-weather clothing, and CSA approved safety boots.
Pay and Benefits:
- The wage for this position is $30.00 per hour.
- Statutory Benefits are provided.
Preferential Hire Statement:
Whenever possible, preference for hiring will be afforded to qualified people of Kluane First Nation and people of First Nation’s ancestry.
Please contact the Operations Manager at email@example.com or (867) 336-6110 to request a copy of the Job Description including full qualifications, or to submit your Resume for this position.
This is a priority hire, so the Closing Date for this competition is “open until filled”. Thank you in advance for your application, however only qualified candidates will be contacted.